What's for Dinner at Furnished Quarters?
Jan 27, 2014 12:30 PM
Super Bowl XLVIII is right around the corner, with the Denver Broncos playing the Seattle Seahawks this Sunday. Whether you’re hosting a party or attending one, you’ll need some traditional Super Bowl snacks to munch on. To this end, guests of Furnished Quarters on game day can enjoy one of the best parts about staying in corporate housing: a fully equipped kitchen. Use it to try out this month’s recipe—a delicious 6-Layer Dip. Enjoy the game, and may the best team win!
Six Layer Chip Dip
Prep: 15 minutes
Yield: 8–10 servings
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups lowfat shredded Cheddar
- 2 ripe avocados, preferably Hass
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, finely chopped, (with seeds for more heat)
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat yogurt, preferably Greek
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, leaves and some stems, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
- 5 scallions (white and green), thinly sliced
- Baked tortilla chips, for dipping
On a cutting board, smash the garlic cloves, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste. Put the garlic, beans, chili powder, water, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Spread in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole or gratin dish, or in individual sized dishes, as desired.
Scatter the cheese over the beans. Halve and seed the avocados, then mash with the jalapeno and another teaspoon of salt in a small bowl. Spread a layer of the avocado over the cheese, and then scatter the lettuce on top.
Mix the yogurt with the cilantro and then spread over the lettuce. Add a layer of tomatoes and finally scatter the scallions on top. Chill until ready to serve. Garnish with a few cilantro sprigs and serve with baked chips.